What Paperwork Do I Need To Sell My Car In Australia?

If you’re selling your car in Melbourne and need cash right away, you don’t have to wait until you get to an auction house or sell to a dealer. You can sell your car directly to any number of private buyers who are willing to pay cash on the spot for your vehicle, offering you top dollar for your old ride and getting it out of your driveway as quickly as possible.

Certificate of Registration

To sell your vehicle, you’ll need to contact the DVLA and get them to issue a Certificate of Registration. The process for this varies from region to region, so you may have an easier time contacting your local council for advice on what paperwork is needed. Additionally, if you’re looking at cash for car Melbourne, it may be worth speaking with the DVLA about getting your registration cancelled. This will save you a lot of time and make everything easier when it comes time to move on from that vehicle.

Safety Certificate

If you are selling your used car in Melbourne, you will first need cash for the car’s Melbourne safety certificate. This is an important document that proves the vehicle is safe for use on the roads. You can apply for this certificate from VicRoads, and it costs $39. You’ll also need proof of ownership, registration papers, and a Certificate of Inspection (COI) that has been issued within the last 28 days. With these documents, you will be able to register your used car with VicRoads and sell it at any time.

Bill of Sale

The bill of sale is a document that the seller and buyer must sign. The bill of sale should include the following:

  1. The year, make, model, and vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle.
  2. A statement that states who is selling the vehicle and who will buy it.
  3. An agreement on how much money will be exchanged for the vehicle, including whether or not any extra fees are included.
  4. A description of any additional services or items being exchanged for the sale of the vehicle.
  5. The signatures of both parties exchanging ownership of the vehicle.

This information should be accurate so that there is no confusion over what was agreed upon when you go to transfer ownership at your local DMV office.

Release of Interest (if applicable)

When it comes time for you to sell your vehicle, you’ll be required to release any security interest that may exist on the vehicle. A release of interest is a document that you sign that states that you have given up all ownership rights in the vehicle and released any security interest (if applicable).

There are two types of releases of interest: a Release of Monetary Interest or a Release of Property Interest.

A Release of Monetary Interest is when you give up your right to receive money from the sale of the vehicle. If there is more than one owner listed on the title, all parties must sign this document.

Proof of ID

In order to legally sell your vehicle, you’ll need a few documents. The first is proof of ownership. This can be any document that proves you’re the rightful owner of the vehicle, like a registration or title. The second is proof of insurance. You can provide proof with your current policy or an insurance binder.


In order to legally sell your car, you will need to provide the buyer with a few documents. There are some different requirements depending on if it is a private sale or through a dealership. You will also have to pay taxes on the sale.

Comments are closed.