Reclamation after Water Damage: Operation and Insurance

Following water damage in an apartment or in the common areas of a condominium, the damage can be significant and the pinnacle restoration of the premises can require a significant financial investment. However, thanks to insurance compensation, rehabilitation after water damage can be done at low cost. Here are our tips on what to do after water damage in a condominium. Even before reclamation after water damage, the first thing to do is to determine the origin of the damage in order to be able to stop the leak as quickly as possible and prevent the damage from being even greater. When it is not possible to stop the origin of the leak, it is then necessary to mop the floor and protect furniture and objects before a professional can intervene. However, it recommended to turn off the water as soon as possible to avoid further damage or as a preventive measure. It is also sometimes advisable to cut the electricity to avoid damage, especially when there is a lot of water.

Water damage in co-ownership

Water damage can occur in the common areas as in the private areas and originate from a dwelling other than that affected by the infiltration. When a tenant lives in an apartment affected by water damage, but also when a co-owner occupies his own home, it is not always easy to know the steps to follow, or to know which insurance to contact. Be aware, however, that any tenant, when signing a lease with a landlord, must also consider taking out comprehensive home insurance (MRH) which covers them in the event of water damage. However, insurance contracts do not necessarily cover damage caused by:

  • the condensation ;
  • humidity;
  • And infiltration of facades.

The procedure for declaring water damage

In order to be able to benefit from compensation for damage caused by water damage, it is necessary to make a claim declaration to send to your insurance company. We strongly advise you to do it by registered mail with acknowledgment of receipt to avoid unpleasant surprises. A claim declaration must include all of the following information:

  • Your full contact details (name, first name, address and apartment number);
  • The identifier of your insurance contract (contract number);
  • Description of the water damage (its cause or, failing that, its origin, date, place and time);
  • Description of all material damage, or even bodily injury;
  • The financial estimate of damaged or destroyed objects and furniture;
  • Damage caused to third parties (if the water damage started at your house and caused damage to your neighbors);
  • Contact details of neighbors affected by water damage, if any.

Be careful, in some cases, you do not have to make a declaration to the insurance. Indeed, if you and your property had not suffered any damage and the same applies to the common areas and to your neighbors, you have no reason to file a claim with your insurance. . Indeed, it will not offer you any compensation for the repairs of the leak but your loss rate increased, which means that the amount of your insurance to pay will increase, that the water damage started at home, at your neighbors. Or in the common areas of the building.

By which insurer is the compensation paid?

The regulations of a co-ownership provide in many cases for the subscription by the syndic of co-ownership of an insurance for the building included in the common expenses of the co-owners. This does not mean that lessor co-owners and resident co-owners do not also have to take out insurance for their apartment, as do tenants. In the event of water damage, it is not always easy to know how these different insurance policies fit together.

So that victims can obtain compensation as quickly as possible, inter-insurance agreements have been put in place to simplify the procedures.

Comments are closed.